In this article, we’ll be discussing Laylatu l-Qadr or The Night of Power/Decree. Laylatu l-Qadr has a very special status in the Quran and Sunnah. Let’s see how.
Allah SWT says “Ha Mim. By the Scripture that makes plain. Lo! We revealed it on a blessed night” (44:1-3). And Allah SWT said “We have indeed revealed it on Laylatu l-Qadr. And what will explain to thee what the night of power is? Laylatu l-Qadr (The Night of Power) is better than a thousand months” (97:1-3).
Now let’s us look at the prophet’s SAW hadiths on Laylatu l-Qadr, to realize how important this night is.
The prophet SAW said “Seek Laylatu l-Qadr in the odd-numbered nights of the last ten days of Ramadan” [Bukhari and Muslim]. About Laylatu l-Qadr, the prophet SAW also said “… seek it on the 5th, 7th or 9th night (of the last 10 days of Ramadan) [Bukhari and Muslim].
The prophet SAW also taught Aisha what to say on Laylatu l-Qadr: “O Allah, You are Forgiving and Generous, and You love to forgive. Forgive my sins”.
Consequently, based on the previous Quranic verses and prophet’s SAW hadiths on Laylatu l-Qadr, we may conclude the following:
- Laylatu l-Qadr is a very special night in Ramadan. Ibn Khatheer says that in it the whole year’s list of affairs is passed on to the angels. That list contains all the details of the year’s occurrences, including distribution of livelihoods and lives to end, etc.
- The occasion of the revelation of Surat Al-Qadr is even more amazing. It was narrated that a man from Jacob’s descendants fought for the cause of Allah for a thousand years. On hearing his story, Muslims were amazed. So many scholars agree that on seeing how the companions were amazed by this man’s story, Allah revealed Surat Al-Qadr. And in it was revealed one of the greatest blessings to the Muslim nation “Laylatu l-Qadr is better than a thousand months” (91:3). Now listen to what Ibn Jareer had to say in his tafsir of this particular verse: Thus, the pure acts of worship done on Laylatu l-Qadr are better than Jihad for a thousand months.
- Al-Qadr has a variety of meanings, such as extent, amount, value, destiny, sanctity or prestige. So in the Quran tafsir, the word “Al-Qadr” means either: a) Divine Destiny. b) Magnificent Status. or c) Restriction since Allah did not specify its exact date in the month.
Now let’s tackle the all important issue:
The Virtues of Laylatu l-Qadr:
- Your worship on this particular night is worth more than that of a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and four months of worship. I’m amazed and how not too many Muslims notice that Laylatu l-Qadr is “better” than a 1,000 months; not “equal” is rather “better”.
- During Laylatu l-Qadr angels are busy with assignments of mercy and blessings. They Check on worshipers and attend their assemblies. And Angel Jibril’s descent on Laylatu l-Qadr is a sign of its great status; something he only did during the revelations.
- During Laylatu l-Qadr angels keep praying for those engaged in acts of worship, seeking to please Allah.
In sha’ Allah in the next article, we discuss how to locate Laylatu l-Qadr…